Re: [TowerTalk] W6NL 40m Moxon

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] W6NL 40m Moxon
From: Ken K6MR <k6mr@outlook.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 11:55:16 -0700
Ok, this even makes mathematical sense (as it should):

Assume the wind angle is with respect to the antenna direction. Total area =
Element area * COS (angle) + Boom area * SIN(angle)

First derivative is: EA*SIN(angle) - BA*COS(angle) = 0

A little manipulation gives: angle (max area) = Arctan(BA/EA)

Sanity check: if boom is really big w/r to elements, angle approaches  90
degrees. If elements are big, angle approaches zero. As you noted, if boom =
elements, angle = 45 degrees.

Thanks for the thought provoking discussion. This should have been obvious but
never took the time to work it out.  The software does all the work these days
and pencil and paper are pretty much dead.

Ken K6MR