Re: [TowerTalk] Question on choke

To: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question on choke
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 21:38:15 -0700
I use RG142, captured as MIL surplus, very nice with double silver plated shields and TFE insulation. It will handle QRO power beyond 30MHz. I can get 9+ turns into a stack of 240-31 cores. The stack then goes into a 4x4x4 (or larger) PVC Carlon box from Home Depot with watertight cable grips in and out (McMaster has grips in the sizes needed), so no PL259/SO239's to try and get watertight. All connections are soldered and inside the box. The rig end does get a PL259 after the rotator loop, so that pigtail is otherwise taped to the boom. My goal was to eliminate as much as possible that could go wrong out at the yagi feedpoint, i.e. no connectors except the lugs to the driven element. If the choke can get very close to the feedpoint, then I use #10 size cable grips for two #10 wires to the feedpoint. Then there is no coax shield/conductor "split" to try and waterproof.

I also drill 0.1" drain holes in all four corners of the lid which goes on the down side so even if the gasket leaks, little water gets inside and the holes are small enough so most bugs stay out. I have 9 of these chokes on antennas w/o any problems at full QRO, contest mode.

Grant KZ1W