[TowerTalk] Rohn 55g 60ft guyed - advice

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55g 60ft guyed - advice
From: Simon Lewis <gm4plm@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 11:20:01 +1200

Hi All

Lucky me! I am moving into a new QTH shortly and finally have 10 acres to play
with for antennas!

I also recently aquired 24 sections of used Rohn 55g(ex comms tower) (on top of
the HD 18m tiltover I purchased from the UK to replace the 15m tower I lost a
few years ago post earthquakes in a Nor'west storm that killed my 4 x 12 ele
144MHz EME array.

I am keen to add some new antennas for HF (Steppir DB36) but will prob maximise
my height at 60ft due to high winds in this area. We can exceed 100 mph a few
times a year here as I am in the lee of the southern alps here in Christchurch.

I am ok with the tiltover mast but never built/installed a guyed tower .. So
keen to get some advice/input from someone knowledgeable about Rohn towers.

The Rohn catalog seems only to show guyed examples from 100ft .... The 45g
shows 40-50ft and I have been looking on those but extrapolating out to 55g

The DB36 is 17.5 sq ft of antenna ...

I was keen to have the ability to lower the DB36 in storms to ground level so
was planning to use an RT Innovation Razor hazer system.

I think 60ft with top guys on a Rohn 55g is ok ???

Having 2 sets of guys might be difficult to lower the hazer quickly if I see a
storm coming.

So I don't expect the DB36 to be up in 100mph winds .. The steppir would fold I
think anyway

Any advise on this type of setup would be appreciated

I think the top guys (phillystran - and lower 20-30ft or so in EHS in case of
bush fires ) would be ok

I'd do two sets but I think the hazer lowering would be complicated ?

Cheers

Simon ZL4PLM

Sent from Mail for Windows 10