Re: [TowerTalk] 6 x 2 unit...

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 x 2 unit...
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 21:00:13 +0000
For whatever it's worth, when I started playing with SO2R, I went very simple.

I use four different antennas in a contest: a hexbeam, a 40m antenna, an 80m
Carolina Windom (works 12-80), and a 160m antenna.

The initial antenna configuration was:

Radio 1, Antenna Port 1: Hexbeam
Radio 1, Antenna Port 2: 40m or 160m (manually switched)
Radio 2, Antenna Port 1: 80m CW

Because the 80m CW works on multiple bands, I just dedicated it to Radio 2.
If, for some reason, I needed to put out a better signal on Radio 2 on any band
other than 80, I'd Alt-F5 in N1MM to move the desired frequency over to the
radio with the better antenna.

(If the 80m antenna were single band, I'd have put up a dedicated 20m antenna
of some sort and connected it to Radio 2 as well.)

All I needed to remember was to flip the manual switch when going to/from 160m,
and to not have both radios on the same band.

And before someone asks/points it out... it's a low power station, so a lack of
bandpass filters is merely inconvenient...and the BPFs would preclude such a
simple setup, I think.  Also, no automation beyond CAT control of the radios,
and the radios' having antenna choice be a per-band setting.

It wasn't an ideal arrangement, but it worked.

--
Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org