Re: [TowerTalk] CMC-230-5K

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CMC-230-5K
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 02:19:24 -0400
My thoughts as well Jim as I said in an earlier post.

73

Roger (K8RI)

On 4/19/2016 Tuesday 1:06 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
There's something I don't understand here. In 2007, I published the research upon which all of this is built, with measured data for a broad range of chokes for the ham bands, and with full instructions for buying the cores at very good prices, and a "cookbook" for the various ham bands. Why in hell would you want to pay someone 3x the cost of doing it yourself, when all you have to do to do it yourself is wind turns of coax through ferrite cores?

AND -- l would not trust any published power ratings for ANY chokes without understanding the common mode voltage that they will see in any given installation. To do that, you've got to put them in an NEC model that approximates YOUR installation. Simply putting one of these chokes in a sealed enclosure greatly reduces its power handling because it greatly reduces air flow around the choke.

73, Jim K9YC