Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor load bearing weight

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor load bearing weight
From: "Riki, K7NJ" <k7nj@awinets.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:07:58 -0600
Many years ago I installed a Ham-M rotator with a bearing above it  and
mechanical linkage to eliminate the weight on the rotator.  This worked fine
for a while.  But, eventually, the top casting came loose from the bottom
casting.  They were held together by self-tapping screws. The design of that
rotator depended upon some weight being applied to the rotator which ensured
additional frictional forces develop that reduce the normal sideways force
on the screws (due to rotation). Since then, I've only used bearings above
rotators to eliminate lateral forces. I recommend always having weight on a
rotator, but of course it should be comfortably less than the allowable
maximum - ideally much less.

73, Riki, K7NJ

---