Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Lube

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Lube
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 20:40:45 -0700
I agree with Wayne. The synthetic grease does not break down at higher temperatures and maintains the same viscosity. Avoid petroleum grease because it will break down and the viscosity does change with the temperature. I use Super Lube also. Great stuff. It is also good for putting on battery terminals and other electrical connections to seal against moisture. Synthetic lubricants are superior to petroleum based lubricants whether it is grease or oil. Not to drift too far away here but remember when Mobil One synthetic oil first came out ? The petroleum oil providers were shaking in their boots. Research revealed that Mobil One was much superior to the petroleum based oils. Remember the landmark test of Mobil One vs petroleum oil conducted in the mid 70's where a fleet of highway patrol cars were driven 12000 miles using Mobil One ? They tested the Mobil One oil properties used in this test afterwards and it did not show any degradation at all. At about the same time, Chevron tested Mobil One vs their petroleum based oil at their Research Lab for reducing wear. They dismantled brand new engines and measured all the journals, recorded the data, reassembled the engines and ran the engines using Mobil One for the equivalent of 100,000 miles with dynamometers. Then the engines were taken out and dismantled and all the journals were measured again for wear and the new measurements were compared for each journal. It was a real eye opener. There was very little wear, in fact very close to the measurements done initially. Much less wear compared to when the same tests were done using their petroleum based oil. In case you haven't figured it out I am a fan of synthetic lubricants :-) I recently replaced the gear lube with synthetic in the worm gear drive on my US Tower motorized winch. OK I am thru with my rant now. Hope I didn't put anyone to sleep :-)

Bob
K6UJ