Re: [TowerTalk] AN Towers

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AN Towers
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 14:29:32 -0700
Seems to be the state of the current business environment. Threaten to sue!!!!! Why do we do this? Obviously we aren't turning out enough attorney's (or we have to many and there isn't enough food for all).

Of course, statements of concern re an affected company should have some sound basis. This doesn't mean that they can't be an opinion, but should be an informed opinion.

Guess it is easier to threaten legal action than bellying up to the bar and addressing an issue head on. Usually, a move like this tells me the company has a complainant with some legitimate basis (so let's see if we can scare 'em off).

First class companies take criticism and use it to either improve their product or what is often a communication problem. I think back to some of the negative letters (some really nasty) that I saw when I was with the old Tektronix (pre-Danaher). To the best of my knowledge, it always resulted in a senior management or qualified technical person contacting the complainant to better understand their problem and then work with them to find a solution. Sometimes it was not possible to satisfy the beast, but no one was ever threatened with a lawsuit that I know of.

Sad to see a situation like this. Whether Steve's comments (whatever they were, didn't look them up, don't care) were on mark or not, I'd have expected the affected company to attempt to understand why anything was said, and then to work out, hopefully, a solution satisfactory to both. To have it gravitate to a situation like this is just silly.

Think about all the negative remarks about MFJ. Yet they flourish and improve. Their products may not meet everyone's discriminating needs but let's face it, they are successful. I have a few and they have worked flawlessly. Plus, I've always gotten good responses to concerns or questions, satisfactory to me or not.

Just the fact that I might be threatened with legal action because I aired some issues negatively on a public forum about a company or product would ensure I'd never buy their product or do business with the company.

Just one person's thoughts/opinion.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk