Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Damage, Crane used to replace Orion Positioner

To: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>, 'towertalk' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Damage, Crane used to replace Orion Positioner
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 20:17:29 -0400
On 05/14/2016 06:18 PM, Hardy Landskov wrote:
It has been my experience that disconnecting everything and putting the
plugs on the floor works.

As hams it often comes down to doing what you're comfortable with, but...

In 2007 I took a small hit to one of my towers. Lightning jumped a 3 to 4 foot gap between disconnected coax cables and equipment. It also jumped a 3 foot gap between disconnected electrical cords and wall receptacles. I picked up charred and smoking pieces of circuit boards from the floor after the event.

Paul