Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray W9EHQ

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray W9EHQ
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 11:34:03 -0400
You can get surplus butyl very cheaply from tower installers. I'm not sure
why more hams don't do what the pros do.

John KK9A

To:     Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject:        Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray
W9EHQ
From:   Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date:   Sat, 14 May 2016 21:23:02 -0700
Here are the instructions from Andrew for Helix connector splices
http://www.commscope.com/catalog/doc/pdf/2004/Weatherproofing_Kit_for_Connec
tors_and_Antennas.pdf

Similar to the well wire splice insulating technique. The Andrew butyl tape
is a winner. The kits are about $15 and good for about a dozen 1/2 to 1/2"
connections.

My tower installer used the Andrew kits and finished with a couple of coats
of Krylon exterior acrylic spray over the final vinyl tape wrap, cheaper and
easier than 3M Scotchcoat.

Grant KZ1W