Re: [TowerTalk] One of our own...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One of our own...
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 12:20:13 -0700

It's ridiculous to say that a loop is always better than a dipole, especially when your only evidence is one anecdotal example. There are some solid theoretical reasons why a dipole might easily perform better than a loop when the supporting structures for each are at the same height. You can choose to be oblivious to those if you want, but the kind of statement you just made is what made ham radio the petri dish for unscientific speculation and bias in decades past. I thought we had mostly progressed beyond that, but apparently not.

To be specific in your case, that narrow bandwidth for the dipole could have meant that it was very efficient ... i.e., high Q ... although a 15 KHz bandwidth is unusually narrow and suggests that you had something else going on. If you understood antennas you would have known that and investigated further instead of just taking it down. Maybe you weren't using a balun and had feedline interactions, or maybe your feedline length just happened to be a problem for that particular setup. Could have been something else as well, but it doesn't make a dipole inherently a bad idea just because there was something wrong with yours.

Your loop likely has significantly higher losses since the bottom portion is so close to the ground, and especially since a significant portion of the polarization would be horizontal (tilted and bottom corner feed). The higher losses would indeed make it tune more broadly and would make it quieter, but it wouldn't make it a "better" antenna if you were trying to actually radiate a stronger signal.

Dave   AB7E