Re: [TowerTalk] Heat from nearby lightning strikes...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heat from nearby lightning strikes...
From: Kevin Stover <kevin.stover@mediacombb.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 08:59:12 -0500
The bane of human technological advance.

The Marketing Department.

They've got to have jobs too.

On 5/30/2016 8:03 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
All towers are lightning magnets so we are or should be interested in protection but... Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem (Problem = old fashioned term for issue) with the advertising copy below?

Arc Gas Discharge
*Lightning Protection*

OPEK MODEL: LP-350A

Warmer temperatures bring an increased thunderstorm activity. So, now is the time to protect your radios. A good way to do this is with lightning protectors that utilize 'arc-gas' discharge tubes. Heat from nearby lightning strikes rapidly expand the gas inside the tubes opening the antenna feedline much quicker that old fashion surge protectors.

What a revelation, all these years I thought the gas tubes ionized above a certain potential offering lightning induced currents a low impedance path to ground thus protecting equipment further down the coax. But now we know that heat from nearby lightning strikes expanding the gas to create an "open" is the agent of protection not ionized gas offering a low impedance path to ground. (all those years studying physics... wasted.) Associative memory... I recall a flight attendant on a red eye from Dulles to San Diego instructing the sparsely occupied cabin that in the event of sudden loss of cabin pressure masks would deploy from the ceiling and that we should grasp the mask firmly, give a tug to start the flow of oxygen, place the mask over our navel and continue to breathe normally. Maybe later she got a job writing advertising copy.

Patrick        NJ5G

R. Kevin Stover
AC0H
ARRL