Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling antenna traps

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling antenna traps
From: "Jeff AC0C" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 18:51:23 +0800
Worked OK for me but the dip is subtle and to get an accruate reading you need to minimize the coupling once you are in the ballpark.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Thomson
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 8:57 AM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Modeling antenna traps

Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 12:58:01 -0500
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
To: "'Timothy Holmes'" <taholmes160@gmail.com>,
<towertalk@contesting.com>

I don't think that you will have much luck with the MFJ used as a grid dip
meter. You will need a decent grid dip meter.

73
Gary  K4FMX

##  I have never been able to grid dip anything with either my 259 or  259B.
That was using both optional grid dip coils. I tried every simple circuit you could think of just to test that feature. Like a simple cap and coil in parallel. Even tried different cap + coil combos to no avail.
Series, parallel,   you name it, didn’t work.   Finally threw in the towel.
Even W8JI sez they don’t work Dunno why they sell the pair of optional grid dip coils. Nobody else here in town had any luck either. Only thing that works is a real grid dip meter.

Jim  VE7RF