Re: [TowerTalk] OWAs or Fans?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OWAs or Fans?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 19:58:21 -0700
On Wed,6/15/2016 5:32 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
With that set up, it worked well at 200 W, but as I increased the power, around 1 KW (maybe a little less) every LED in the system lit up. Instead of hanging more weight at the feed point, I added another choke with 5 cores and 6 turns ( wound much tighter) where the feedline reaches the tower. That completely cured the problem up to full power out.

Hi Roger,

Look at Slide 17 in k9yc.com/7QP.pdf for a bifilar-wound choke connected as parallel wire transmission line. This is a #31 core. The choke design is mine, but the slick mechanical design is by Glen, W6GJB.

This choke is good for at least 600W at contesting duty cycles for CW, SSB, and even RTTY if installed in a center-fed resonant antenna. For greater power handling, a second choke either in the air or farther down the line is needed. This choke CAN fry (I've done it) at high duty cycles of legal limit CW (calling CQ after you've already worked everyone on the band). :)

The wire is THHN, so Zo is 80-90 Ohms; antennas like the C3SS (which we really like for portable operation) doesn't like it (I think the mismatch screws up N6BT's coupling method), but the C3SS works fine if you wind it with a tightly spaced pair #12 enameled wire.

We did something similar in concept with different hardware in

http://k9yc.com/80M-FDVertical.pdf See slide #26. Designing conservatively, we used three chokes, but actual operation showed that two was enough. Our use was with a KPA500 on CW for 7QP.

You asked about an OWA; I've lost track of what OWA is short for. :)

73, Jim K9YC