Re: [TowerTalk] Best autotuner for Extended Double Zepp

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best autotuner for Extended Double Zepp
From: dw <bw_dw@fastmail.fm>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 12:02:25 -0700
I've been using the SGC tuners for years with ladder line fed doublets
up to 135 feet.
Started out with their lower prices unit for 100watts.
That one has been in storage for a few years now as I moved to their
unit that can handle 500watts.
Interestingly, I don't see the higher wattage unit on their listings
now.

I tried the MFJ-993 auto unit, but the processor in it would lock up, so
I sent it back.
I'm able to cover 160 to 10 meters.
160 had some places on the extreme bottom edge of the band that made the
SGC struggle.
But shifting ladder-line length a few feet cured that.

I enjoy building external L network and Balanced matches with fixed band
set-points which have worked really well using 2" plastic pipe and
aluminum flashing for home-made caps and hand wound coils.   Sometimes
I've wondered if I really need the versatility of an auto tuner since I
only operate on the CW portion of the bands.  Once its set per each
band, it tends to stay happy in that setting forever.

Good luck on your search :-]

 Bw_dw@fastmail.net