Re: [TowerTalk] Fair rite materials for choke baluns

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fair rite materials for choke baluns
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 06:07:06 -0700
Building it was easy.  Designing within the limitations was a little more
difficult.  Actually, since the higher power baluns have some size to them due
to the cores they were easier to wind than some of the smaller ones I have made.

In this case I was only concerned with 50:200 ohms, high power (15 kW), and had
to cover 150 kHz to as high as I could get it to go.  If I couldn't get it to
20 MHz I was going to have to do the span in two different transformers.  It
was never going to see the outside elements and only had to last for a couple
of days.  I ended up pulling a turn off the initial design and bringing the low
end roll off right to 150 kHz but being able to extend the high end to above 20
MHz.  Worked well for the purpose of our test.

Like you said, most hams think that a 4:1 balun that covers from 1-54 MHz at
1500 watts will match 10 ohms to 40 ohms, 50 ohms to 200 ohms, or 100 ohms to
400 ohms with equal zeal.  If only it were true.

I wouldn't even get into the antenna pattern discussion but at least if the
transformer is doing its job you would be dumping your max power to the antenna
regardless of how crappy a radiator it is and hopefully decoupling the feedline
from the antenna as well..

Earl
N8SS