Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA Disc....

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA Disc....
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 20:32:21 -0700

Hi, Jim.

I did pretty much the same thing for the key azimuth points I was interested in. I used Delorme's 3D-Topo Maps program (which no longer works on Windows 8 or 10, by the way). I simply drew a line in the desired direction and manually read the elevation and distance figures off the terrain plot. By doing that I was able to pick data points determined by the change in elevation instead of the change in distance. So my text files looks more like:

0, 5000
15, 4990
35, 4980
70, 4970
85, 4960
etc (numbers above for illustration only)

instead of:

0, 5000
10, 4993
20, 4987
30, 4982
40, 4978
etc

HFTA simply draws lines between the data points, so in my opinion it gives more accurate rendering of the terrain profile with a relatively fixed increment of elevation than with a fixed increment of distance. It also allows 150 data points to extend out much further unless the terrain profile is very choppy. In my case here in southern Arizona, HFTA can recognize the effect of a mountain range some 15 miles distant so the extra distance from the method I used was useful to me.

73,
Dave   AB7E