Re: [TowerTalk] Tribander Stacking

To: Filipe Lopes <ct1ilt@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tribander Stacking
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 11:53:31 -0700
Given the propagation conditions likely in the next few years, a stacking strategy may be better if optimized for those conditions. For tribanders, "optimal stacking" is where you want the best performance and are willing to sacrifice elsewhere.

So my strategy would be to have the fixed US antennas at top and bottom with the goal to maximize 20m performance and the EU antenna in the middle. The arrival angles will be lower to/from US and higher to EU. To maximize performance, getting the top antenna as high as possible perhaps on a fixed mast, and the lower US fixed so that separation is 45' or greater would optimize for 20m.

As I understand HFTA it does not accurately predict performance at close stacking distances, so I would advise using EZNEC to optimize the stack patterns and checking for interactions. With the US direction downslope you might make a judgement call about your effective tower height at that azimuth.

And with tribanders a three high stack may not be worth the investment and complexity. Another choice might be 2x 20m monobanders as a stack and a fixed tribander on US for the times 15 or 10 (ha) open. Or just a 15m monobander.

The length of cables to a stack should be physically equal (same reel of coax too) from the stackmatch since for a tribander you are covering an octave of frequencies, the length only constrained by how much loss you can live with. For monobanders, making the cables electrically the same length at the antenna frequency would be the best method.

Grant KZ1W