Re: [TowerTalk] Strong FM Station Impact on Antenna Analyzer Use in VHF

To: "'Victor Walz N2PP'" <n2pp@frontiernet.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strong FM Station Impact on Antenna Analyzer Use in VHF
From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 12:14:07 -0400
> I am having trouble obtaining resonance (low SWR) at 144 MHz with 2
> commercially made 144 MHz yagis.  I am wondering if both
> antenna analyzers
> are being adversely impacted by a 50 KW FM station on 107 MHz
> located about
> 0.5 miles away.  The antennas are being tested at 35 ft out
> in the open
> supported by a tram.

Assuming the yagi is mounted in the clear and can be rotated, first point it
at the FM station and make a measurement, and then rotate it 90 degrees
(broadside) and take another measurement.  If the apparent match/VSWR
changes as the orientation is varied, that would be a good indication that
the test instrument is being overloaded or otherwise adversely affected by
the high-level off-channel RF.

At 1/2 mile, the free-space path loss is about 70 dB at 100 MHz, so the 50
kW FM would yield about +7 dBm using a unity-gain receiving antenna at that
location.  I don't know those two specific devices well enough to know
whether or not a signal of that amplitude (plus or minus the yagi's
gain/loss at 100 MHz) that far off-channel would be an issue.

                                        --- Jeff WN3A

---