Re: [TowerTalk] 6-meter antenna height

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6-meter antenna height
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 11:02:54 -0400
Purely anecdotal, but... I have been using the same 7 element, 33 foot boom 6 meter yagi for over 12 years. During that time I have had it at heights of 30, 70, and 105 feet.

30 feet worked very well for single hop Es and quite well on double hop. I believe on average I got stronger signals from stations out to 2000 miles or so at that height. On DX beyond two hop range, I did not do well compared to the stations around me who have high antennas. I worked a lot of DX, but I did not get as many openings as the high antenna boys around me, nor was I able to work as far in each opening.

At 70 feet, long haul DX was very much better. I would get more and longer openings to Europe, Africa, and the middle east. I could compete better with the "big guns" around who get the most DX. Signals within one hop range may have been down somewhat compared to the lower height.

At 105 feet I was often able to open and close the band on long haul off-continent Es. This did not happen at either of the lower heights. There consistently seemed to be a marked advantage at this height for DX. This height was also clearly best for tropo, such as during VHF contests when there was no other propagation. One hop Es signals were on average quite a bit weaker but still very workable since we don't need 40 dB over S9 to work a station.

A year ago I relocated the antenna from 105 feet back to 30 feet. How very disappointing! Now I sit listening to the high antenna boys all around me working DX that doesn't exist for me, but I am still doing very well with single and double hop stuff. It had been a number of years since I had operated with the antenna at this height. Oh yes... now I remember.

For me the moral of the story is I need another tower. I am fortunate to have what I do, but cannot have all my antennas up high at the same time.

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf