Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Losses on 160 and 75?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Losses on 160 and 75?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 23:24:17 -0700
On Fri,8/5/2016 11:03 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
No, this isn't the real deal.  A 2 port vector network analyzer
with full 2 port calibration is the real deal.  The wattmeter
approach has many error effects that are difficult to account
for.

Right. I've never considered using wattmeter(s) to measure loss in coax. Now I use a DG8SAQ-designed VNWA (vector network analyzer). Very good accuracy.

Before that, I used an HP generator as a source and an HP Spectrum Analyzer as an RF voltmeter. Using that for measurement, I could clearly see variation in the apparent loss below 2 MHz -- this was as a result of the mismatch between this coax (Zo of a real line is complex and varies with frequency) and the constant 50 ohm load and source terminations. BTW -- I was measuring a sample about 1,200 ft long.

73, Jim K9YC