Re: [TowerTalk] OCF Windom

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OCF Windom
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 10:52:03 -0700
On Sun,8/28/2016 9:53 AM, Tom Osborne wrote:
Some OT's will remember the single wire fed, Windom antenna that was
popular back in the day.  There were a lot of these on the air.

The Windom back then was a wire around 135 feet long, fed with a single
wire, around 1/3 of the way from the end.

What I am wondering is, is this actually a horizontal type antenna, fed
with single wire, or it is more of a 'T' vertical, with the feed wire
actually the radiator?

It is an off-center T. It's the current that does the radiating, and the current distribution will vary from one band to another. If you look at the current distribution on 160 in an NEC model, most of the current is in the vertical portion, then it splits left and right where it hits the horizontal section. The currents in the top section are out of polarity with each other, so the radiation they produce is partially cancelled. In a Tee they are perfectly cancelled. This an antenna that, like the various horizontal wires with parallel wire feed, is going to behave differently on every band. But those horizontal wires with parallel wire feed will have essentially the same VERTICAL pattern, while the vertical pattern of this single wire antenna will be different on every band. It will also be a better antenna on the lower bands than the higher ones.

I think to actually be a vertical, it wound have to be fed against ground,

More correctly, against a radial system or counterpoise. Ground is as big resistor, so it's a terrible antenna element.

but I have seen recommendations for using a G5RV type antenna by tying the
center conductor and shield together and feeding it like a vertical.

Yes. I did that for 80 and 160 in Chicago with a real dipole that I fed with 75 ohm KW twinlead. My counterpoise was a big wrought iron fence that ran around the from of my lot. The dipole was at about 40 ft the shack was on the second floor, the feedline was somewhere between horizontal and vertical, and the wires running from the shack to that fence were part of the radiator. It worked OK but not great on 160, and was better on 80 than loading it as a dipole.

73, Jim K9YC