Re: [TowerTalk] 6 mtr quad

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 mtr quad
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 12:52:55 -0400
If you just want to build a quad for the sake of building or owning a quad, then great! But am I the only one would would wonder about that choice if optimum station performance is the goal?

I know of no optimized quad designs that can compare with modern low sidelobe yagi design. Why care? If you are way out in the country with no neighbors and very well maintained power lines, maybe no reason. Most of us don't have that luxury and must contend with a virtual jungle of man made noise these days. A 6 meter antenna at 100 feet is going to hear every noise source around.

I am all for taking the road less travelled... to a point. I used quads for many years on 2 meter EME. Later I used quagis. Those days are gone. After a 10 year break I am getting back on 2 meters and find that here in this mostly rural area outside a small town, noise is up so much as to make those antennas useless for any serious 'DX' work. I have built a yagi with well suppressed side and back lobes in order to hear. My 6 meter situation is even worse and I really need to ditch my old 7 element yagi in favor of something more optimized in terms of pattern.

Paul, N1BUG