Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 male DIN

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 male DIN
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2016 19:46:07 -0700
thanks Jim for the info and advice.
Much appreciated.

Bob
K6UJ

On 9/3/16 11:34 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On Sat,9/3/2016 9:50 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I would not use LMR600 for the runs to the tower.

Also, always consider loss vs frequency when deciding how much to spend on coax (or hard line) for a given run. For example, loss on 160M and 80M is quite low unless the run is VERY long. All of my "big" stuff is working at 20M and above. One exception -- I have a "cobbled together" run of 3-4 pieces of scrounged hard line and big coax feeding a 350 ft run to a 40M wire dipole.

There are several internet resources that make this computation pretty easy. The fanciest is SimSmith, a really nice Smith Chart program by AE6TY. Free, runs in Java. Also, TL Details by AC6LA. And for even more cool stuff, AC6LA's ZPlots, which is an Excel spreadsheet. All of this stuff is FREE! And, of course, N6BV's TLW that comes on the CD with the Antenna Book.

73, Jim K9YC