[TowerTalk] 7-16 DIN connectors for 3/8" braided coax

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 7-16 DIN connectors for 3/8" braided coax
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 23:32:25 -0400
Here's what I know - or believe I know :-)

For LMR400 style cable THEE best DIN connector is the Comp-DM-400, formerly PPC brand but apparently now made by RF industries. This requires a special compression tool. You can use either the VT500 or VT600. I believe the tool runs around $100 or so. This also works on the Comp-NM-400 connector if you need an N termination. This type of connector produces the most reliable termination possible. It's stronger than the cable itself. The Comp-DM-400 runs $30 at Tessco.

Other than than that, any of the standard *crimp* connectors like the Times EZ-400-716M ($20) work well. Both the compression fittings (Comp-DM-400) and the crimp style connectors have captivated center pins, so they only work on solid center conductor cables like LMR-400 and the knock-offs.

For stranded center conductor cables like RG-213 and Buryflex, you need a connector with a solder-on center pin. The RFI crimp version is the RFD-1604-2I. The Tessco price is now $40, but the place I used to buy them at - http://www.hdcom.com/716dinconn.html - still has them listed at $18. I haven't tested that price lately because I found basically the same connector from China for $12.

Available on ebay - search on *7-16 din crimp connector for rg-8 rg-213*

Hope this info helps someone.

-Steve K8LX