Re: [TowerTalk] Selecting Coax connectors

To: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Selecting Coax connectors
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 01:02:29 +0000
My evidence is strictly empirical, but it appears to me that the effective
working voltage of N connectors is less than UHF.

When doing dumb things - like trying to load a 30m antenna on 17m at full power
- the attendant voltage from the SWR will arc over.

Now, if you avoid dumb because, say,  you have resonant antennas (by resonant,
I mean on the band you're trying to load them on) N is quite satisfactory.

At one point I thought I was going to switch everything over to them.  I now
have a bin full of crimp and chassis connectors. Since dumb seems to follow me
around, I've since bagged that idea.

Al
AB2ZY