Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square for 80

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square for 80
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 20:36:49 -0700
Mike,

I don't always subscribe to "do what the mfr says" philosophy, but in this case, you've gotten solid engineering advice. I'd say take it! Engineering and science are NOT a matter of opinion, nor of popular vote. Once you've gotten that good advice, say thank you and start building it!

One observation though about ALL vertical TRANSMITTING antennas. In general, the PERFORMANCE of horizontal antennas is NOT affected by the quality of the soil (although their feedpoint Z strongly depends on height and soil quality), but the PERFORMANCE of vertical antennas is STRONGLY affected by soil quality. I suggest that you study the antenna planning tutorials/applications notes on my website. My QTH, in mountains where the "soil" mostly rocks with a thick layer of "duff" (droppings from redwoods laying on top) is quite poor, except during the winter when our 70 inch annual rainfall makes that top layer fairly conductive. So verticals don't work for me -- my only vertical antennas are for 160M, where any practical horizontal antenna is too low to be good at low angles. I've tried verticals on 80, 40, and 30M, and they had terrible efficiency.

So -- take Tim's comparison of 4-squares for the higher bands with a Yagi at 50 ft with that in mind -- that is, compare his ground with yours.

Another important point about radials. Their function is to SHIELD the field produced by the antenna from the lossy soil, so that return current for the antenna flows in low resistance copper rather than lossy soil. BUT-- current in radials couples inductively to the soil, so current flows in the soil, burning TX power. The equivalent circuit of the radial adds a resistor in series with it.

Power is I squared R; as more radials are added, the current divides between them, while the R in each radial remains the same (if identically installed and the soil is the same under each). SO -- as we double the number of radials, we reduce the power in the radials by half. THAT'S why more radials are better, and that's why 16-32 radials is the point of diminishing returns. (Note that I'm not saying that the efficiency improves by 3 dB, but that the loss in the soil is reduced by 3 dB).

As we RAISE our radials, there is less coupling with the earth, and it takes fewer radials to keep the ground loss low. N6LF has done a LOT of excellent work on this, and published it in QEX and on his website. It's well worth the time to study it thoroughly.

When thinking about the effect of soil, there are two. First is the loss in the radials, and we have control over that. We can put more copper in/on the ground, or we can elevate radials. And we can use K2AV's FCP if we don't have room for radials. The second effect is the loss in the far field where the first reflection combines with the direct wave from the antenna to form the vertical pattern. The strength of that reflection is strongly dependent on the soil, and that is NOT under our control. THAT'S how sea water makes verticals work so well, and ONLY in the direction where there's sea water.

73, Jim K9YC