Re: [TowerTalk] Help with KT-34Xa reflector

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help with KT-34Xa reflector
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2016 16:01:13 -0700
Dave,

The entire length of the element is determined by length D on those elements
which in your case is going to be 18".  Dimensions A, B, and C determine the
element end/capacitor assembly dimensions.  Length D  determines how far the
element end/capacitor assembly nests inside the 72"x1" tube and determines the
overall length.

I have rebuilt 3 of them and currently have two in the air and one on the
ground plus a bunch of spare elements from one that collapsed under ice but not
sure if any of the 72" pieces survived in that pile.

There has always been some question as to where you measure from.  If I
remember right you measure from the edges of the straps.  Soooo:

Dimension A would be from boom side edge of the middle shorting strap to the
element tip.

Dimension B would be from the boom side edge of the middle shorting strap to
the outer edge of the outer shorting strap.

Dimension C would be from the outer edge of the inner capacitor strap to the
outer edge of the inner jumper strap that loops over the element.

Dimension D would be from the end of the swaged 72" x 1" tube to the outer edge
of the inner strap.

Total length of the element would be from the end at the boom to the tip of the
longest element.  That would be 72" + 18" + 51.5" + 1" (length of the capacitor
caps back to back) or 142.5"

Earl
N8SS

Message: 5