Re: [TowerTalk] tower giveaway - need someone to take tower down - any a

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower giveaway - need someone to take tower down - any advice
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 04:56:52 -0400
I take it that you do not have the raising fixture. That tower is made to pivot on the base if it's installed in the correct orientation. Even without the raising fixture , it can easily be taken down with a front end loader.

Typically the LM470 is installed as a crank up / tilt over. I've seen very few without the tilt over feature You just tilt it to the horizontal, or close enough to remove the antennas. Lower them so the reflectors are close to the ground.

Once the antennas are off, lower the tower to horizontal. Use a front end loader to lift the tower and lay it down.

If you don't have the tilt over feature (rare), again, use a front end loader. With the tower lowered/retracted, remove all the base bolts except the two that are parallel. Just loosen those so the tower can be tilted. Use the front end loader to tilt the tower down, again with the antenna reflectors on the bottom side. It may take an extension ladder to reach the antennas for removal. Get an operator who knows front end loaders forward and back. A good operator will know how to position the loader to make the operation the easiest. This is no place for an inexperienced operator to learn how to use a front end loader.

I purchased mine, from an estate. Although it had the raising and tilt over feature the owner had built an extension onto his house after the tower was up. That prevented using the raising fixture, or tilting from the base.

I hired a contractor to take it down with a good size front end loader. It took him about 15 minutes working from the side. Lowered, the top of the tower is only 22, or 23 feet high. He just has to figure the balance point after ate antennas are off.

73 es good luck

Roger (K8RI)