[TowerTalk] Wire 4-squares - they work ! (GAIN?)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wire 4-squares - they work ! (GAIN?)
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 05:38:36 -0700
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 17:14:05 -0300
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>

de Mike VE9AA again.  Can't seem to get this reply onto the list, but see
other messages showing up.  I apologize if this is a dupe !

A couple folks asked me where I was getting my gain and F/B #'s from.

Fair question.

First of all, I have no doubt the S-meter on an IC-7410 is not accurate, but
everything is relative.

##  LOL.   Can u switch in a 6db or 12 db RX attenuation pad ?   If so, be in
for a rude awakening.   Do u have the RX pre-amp on....or off ?   On some
of the icoms,  with all the pre-amps turned on, you are looking at just 7
microvolts
= S9.   And 1 db or less for each S unit below S9.   Find a S4 to S7 signal,
then
switch in the 6 db pad.   Then watch the S meter drop through the floor.
But at least you will know how many S units for a 6-12-18 db of RX padding.

Jim  VE7RF