Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-600 vs UHF connector

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-600 vs UHF connector
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 09:39:22 -0700
On Wed,10/19/2016 4:09 PM, K7LXC--- via TowerTalk wrote:
  I need to install some UHF connectors on some  LMR-600 and couldn't
find any utube help or any insight at all for installing  them.

have you looked at the K3LR method of installing 83-1SP connectors on coax? I've never used LMR600, so I haven't tried it with that cable, but it might be possible to make it work, perhaps even by shaving the dielectric.

http://www.k3lr.com/engineering/pl259/

I've tried this method on a couple of cables, and while I don't find it very easy to accomplish (probably it's a skill issue on my part), it's certainly a valid method electrically, and probably provides better shielding at the connector than soldering through the holes to the braid.

73, Jim K9YC