Re: [TowerTalk] What do do on 80 when height restricted?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What do do on 80 when height restricted?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 04:49:15 -0400
I agree with Jim,

I had a pair of ground mounted, 1/4 wave verticals on 40 with a mediocre radial system and a switchable figure 8 pattern broadside or end fire. Their main advantage was reducing the unwanted from 90 degrees. They worked well beyond 300 to 500 miles depending on band conditions. That was in the mid to late 70s so band conditions were quite different than recent years. Cycle lows were more like the recent highs. As that was between 40 and 50 years ago, I no longer have any hard data from that period

No one would have imagined the possibility of around the clock openings on 40. The problems with the decent multi band, no radials required, verticals is lack of bandwidth. An AV680 should work well, if raised as high as permitted. A ground mounted vertical, 35' high with top loading (if possible), or a combination of top and base loading A low/short antenna is likely to have a low impedance, limiting the range (and power) of the ant tuner.
The suggestion of an inverted L sounded like a good one.

As for "limited space/height", performance is almost always an issue. There is also the RV antenna approach. that many seem to like,

73

Roger (K8RI)