Re: [TowerTalk] What do do on 80 when height restricted?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What do do on 80 when height restricted?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 13:26:55 -0700
feedpoint.  Isn't the idea to reduce/eliminate losses?

Exactly right. With on-ground radials, more copper is better, longer is better. I covered this in great detail in the piece about 160M.

When I added added the HF2V, I had about 4 radials and the BW on 80 was about 150 kc. I kept adding radials, and the bandwidth kept dropping - which is good, since that means that that ground losses are being reduced.
The bandwidth finally dropped to about 50 kHz.  For an 1/8 wave antenna, that
is pretty good.

Yes. AND loss in coax is quite small on 160 and 80M, so it's very practical to use a tuner in the shack once you've got it close to resonance in the middle of the range where you want to work. This is a great application for big coax (RG8 or RG213 size), not for power handling, but to reduce loss with mismatch.

Also, it really helps to raise the antenna and use elevated radials. While it's BEST for those radials to be resonant, I'd put in as many shorter ones as I could before giving up. NEVER let the perfect be the enemy of the "good enough." And best, by far, is one of those vertical dipoles that doesn't need radials.

Yes, top-loading is ALWAYS a good thing if it doesn't reduce the overall height of the vertical section. If, for example, you're using conductive guy wires as top loading, the vertical part of the guy wire will shorten the effective height of the radiator, reducing its efficiency. Let's say that you've got a 40 ft tall radiator, are guying it with wires that form a 45 degree angle with the ground, and the conductive section of the guy is 14 ft long. Doing the trig, the wire drops 10 ft, so the effective height of the radiator is 40 ft - 10 ft = 30 ft. This means that SOME top loading is a good thing, but don't overdo it, or try to tie off the guys as far from the antenna as possible.

73, Jim K9YC