Re: [TowerTalk] What do do on 80 when height restricted?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What do do on 80 when height restricted?
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 05:54:06 -0500
>>What is his objective, DX, or local?  The answer will dictate the
>>antenna choices.

>That's an urban myth. Yes, verticals have little or no high angle radiation,
>but that only matters if you're trying to ragchew within a few hundred miles.
>See the links I posted for >some real science on the topic.

>73, Jim K9YC

Nonsense.  It's not an "urban myth" at all.  I have a friend on 75 m.
who's only antenna is a vertical, base fed over a ground system, and
he's around 60 miles away from me and is usually at the noise level.
I have a dipole, horizontal, fed in the center with ladder line on 75
m., and it is 45 feet high.  I have a 65 foot high quarter wave
vertical on 75, base fed over a ground system of 101 radials as well.
The vertical is worthless within a couple hundred miles and is equal
with the dipole at around 500 miles.  At 2000 miles out the vertical
is 20 dB better than the cloud burning dipole.   The height restricted
ham should consider his objective.  If he only wants to operate on 80
m. casually, with his pals inside 200 or 300 miles, a horizontal wire
antenna is absolutely the way to go.

73

Rob
K5UJ