Re: [TowerTalk] Radial field question Single radial wires vs meshand mor

To: "'Ian White'" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial field question Single radial wires vs meshand more
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 12:43:45 -0500
Hi Ian,

I am wondering why even bother with mesh wire. Radials provide a return
current path back to the feed point so current should mainly flow along the
length of the radial wires. Having shorts between the radial wires as a mesh
provides, would seem of little benefit. Any current flowing between radials
via the shorts would seem to result in loss current.

As to using any kind of steel material for radials the loss due to eddy
currents is going to be rather high, the same problem that steel antenna
wire presents.
Yes, steel radials are better than none, same as a steel wire antenna is
better than no antenna but for all the effort to put the steel wire in or on
the ground it would seem a much better case for copper.