Re: [TowerTalk] Source of STRONG tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Source of STRONG tower?
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 12:30:54 -0700
Donna,

I would consider the USTower heavy duty series of crankup towers.
(an example is below)

I would definitely go with a crank up tower vs a guyed tower in your situation. With a crank up tower you can lower it down partially during high wind periods or leave it normally partially retracted as I do. With the overlap increase even with a partial retraction the wind load capacity goes up exponentially. I have a USTower HDX589 and it usually resides at 75% of its maximum height. This way there is a huge increase in wind load capacity, much more than the towers rating at full extended height. When wind is not bad and there is a new DX station on I need, it only takes a minute to extend it up to full height. You do not have this flexibility with a guyed tower. This arrangement give me about 70 feet antenna height normally which works very well and about 95 feet if needed. I rarely raise it all the way up. Usually it is when chasing an all time new country and it's probably unlikely the added height really helps,
but it makes me feel better :-)

Also its not just about the tower. In a severe wind situation, the antennas also fare much better at lower height. About a year ago we had a storm with very high winds and the elements on my yagis were pushed way back from the wind in almost a u shape. I lowered the tower all the way in this storm so the yagis were up only about 35 feet.

Another thing to think about in a high wind area is the raising and lowering system. You can get telescoping towers with a winch that only raises the tower. When retracting, the take up drum simply goes in reverse and rolls up the cable from the weight of the tower as its coming down. This works fine except when in very high winds. In high winds the lateral force on the tower sections can (and will) prevent the tower from coming down. The cable becomes slack ! I had this situation years ago with a tower. I came home from work and the winds were very high. I ran out to the tower to lower it down (yes I should have left it not fully extended :-) and tried lowering it. It wouldn't come down ! I was helpless. The cable was slack. I finally was able to lower it by tiny increments, the tower would jump down a tad, then I would hit the winch a little and wait for another jump dowm, you get the idea ! It took quite a while.......... BTW I have no affiliation with USTowers, hihi. The thing to do is to get a tower that not only pulls up the sections but pulls down also. The USTower raising and lowering systems on their HDX towers use a take a drum and pulls in both directions when raising or lowering. No more stuck tower when in high winds, it pulls down too.

here is the HDX689 model:
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-002312

73,
Bob