Re: [TowerTalk] Magic Length for 160-40 vertical?

To: 'Towertalk Reflector' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Magic Length for 160-40 vertical?
From: Kirk Kleinschmidt via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 19:05:25 +0000 (UTC)
Regarding the top-loaded doublet idea: I planned to do this, and I have the
relays and the goodies on hand to implement it. My potential problem is, the
35-foot support tower is bracketed to the side of my garage... The yardarm at
the top of the tower stands the center insulator about 4 feet "away" from the
garage, but that puts the feed point only about 5 feet away from the side of
the building.
My plan for the doublet is to drop the open-wire feed line straight down to my
SGC autocoupler, which is mounted on a short T-post.
The small side yard has a 30 x 50 area suitable for radials. I planned to use a
galvanized hardware cloth ground screen there for the first season, adjusting
as necessary after winter fades. As it stands that would put the feed point of
the vertical only five feet from the garage side of the radial screen.

I could mount the autocoupler in the "middle" of that radial space, "slanting"
the open-wire feed line at a 25-degree angle (roughly).
But the 1-acre back yard has nothing in it but short grass... I was reading an
article by one of the radial and grounding gurus the other day (Rudy?), and he
suggested that a 30-foot "fat" vertical over a 500-square-foot ground screen
(or an appropriate radial field) would make for a decent short vertical on the
low bands. A 6-inch aluminum pipe that's 30-feet long seems nice and fat! It's
also free, as in beer, so the price is right....
If I knew that the top-loaded doublet would work on the low bands (installed
next to the garage of my wood-frame house over a heavily lopsided ground
screen), I'd leave it at that. Maybe it will be okay...but maybe not. I have
heard nothing but negative anecdotal reports about using verticals mounted
close to houses, especially on the low bands.
So, knowing more details, do you think the top-loaded doublet will work?

I've spent 13 seasons in a townhouse with an indoor attic antenna, so I need to
work on my low-band DX and state totals! I managed to work ZL and VK on 80 CW
with 5 W...and two Caribbean stations on 160 with 5 W (both using that
attic-mounted 40-meter horizontal loop), but let's just say that wasn't the
norm! On 20 and up it was a killer antenna (considering)...but I need to give
some attention to the low bands....
Thanks,
--Kirk, NT0Z

My book, "Stealth Amateur Radio," is now available from www.stealthamateur.com