[TowerTalk] wandering heading Green Heron control box

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] wandering heading Green Heron control box
From: "Jeffrey Ach" <w2fu@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 18:36:43 -0500

The "wandering" isn't so much "wandering"  as it is that the point and shoot
knob is not used enough to keep the wiper clean.   My remote station has 12
controllers, and we haven't had this issue at all.  Yes, I have seen a few
recently, (and a few bad pots too) and am contemplating a firmware change to
the point and shoot options so that it either requires a positive
confirmation from an operator, or a disable mode.  The "issue" is that the
pot "moves" (A/D sees a two degree change in the knob position within a
short time) a little and the RT-21 senses that it has been turned.  The unit
will always go to the pot position.  It's nothing more than that.  I must
stress that THEY WILL NOT JUST WIND UP THE COAX, THEY WILL JUST TRY TO TURN
TO THE CURRENT HEADING AS INDICATED BY THE POSITION OF THE KNOB.  All turn
commands are done by sending a heading to the controller logic.  It will go
to somewhere between 0 and 359 degrees, it cannot possibly be commanded to
go outside of that from the knob, or any other external command...AND even
if it could, the soft limits would stop it.

We have recently made change both to V3 and V4 code (it's on the website
along with the revision histories that tell you about it!) that does make it
less sensitive to this, and haven't had enough feedback yet to know if it
has been effective, or not.

If either of you are willing to try one of these two options, let me know
which you would prefer and we can generate a test release for you.

Jeff - W2FU

Green Heron Engineering