Re: [TowerTalk] 80m rotary dipole for 160M RX ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m rotary dipole for 160M RX ?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 09:59:13 -0800
On 1/17/17 9:32 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
Has anybody tried using a 80m rotary dipole as a 160M  RX ant ?   Im thinking
it may well be quieter
than any dedicated RX ant I could come up with....on a city lot.   There is no
way I can get adequate
separation between any 160m TX ant, like a .25 wave sloper,  shunt fed
tower,etc, and a 160M  RX array.
This assumes plenty of Z and esp RS on the 80m 1:1  choke balun... when used
for 160M RX.   I dont use
QSK, just vox.  So I would have to incorporate some high speed vac relay setup
to swap ants when on 160M RX.
It would be interesting to know if the  RX concept even works.  80m rotary
dipole planned to go up this spring, on the
crankup..at 100 ft.

You're hoping to use the nulls off the end of the dipole to reduce noise?
A shortened dipole still has nulls, and might be even easier.

if the noise is directional, then some sort of active canceller might be a better bet.

Jim  VE7RF