Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12

To: Dick Green WC1M <wc1m73@gmail.com>, 'Jim Thomson' <jim.thom@telus.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12
From: Fred Keen via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:42:09 +0000 (UTC)
Dick, The 6BA I received from F12 last Nov had bolts not rivets, the paperwork
said rivets were an option.Fred KC5YN

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Dick Green WC1M<wc1m73@gmail.com> wrote:
Similar question: Which F12 antennas didn't perform well compared with which
lower priced antennas? A general comment on performance without any
specifics doesn't help much.

I have four F12 antennas: an EF-420 (4-el 20), an EF-515 (5-el 15), an
EF-610 (6-el 10) and a C4E (tribander.) They all perform well. Granted, I
bought them 15+ years ago, but at the time they were reasonably priced
compared with other options.

I very much doubt that monobanders from other manufacturers with the same
boom length and number of elements would outperform the monobanders. The
only difference might be the dual-element feed, which as far as I know is a
great way to feed a monobander. FWIW I always use current baluns on the
feeds.

At the time I bought it, the C4E was one of the only trapless commercial
tribanders (maybe the only?), and it performed as well or better on 20 and
15 than a much more expensive TH-7 I had at the time (and I had to repair
the traps on the TH-7 a couple of times.) I suppose there could be other
tribanders on the market that do better than the C4E, particularly on 10
meters, which isn't it's best band from an F/B standpoint, but I'm skeptical
that the design can be beaten with the same boom length and number of
elements on each band.

As for build quality, I've never had to repair any of the four antennas. I'm
a big fan of riveted elements over hose clamps or screws. I imagine that may
be part of why the F12 antennas cost more.

The F12 are no longer my main antennas for the high bands. I mostly use a
3-stack of 4-el SteppIRs for running in contests, and use the F12 antennas
for S&P and beaming in multiple directions. The C4E is almost exclusively
used for South, where it does an excellent job, even though it's only 48'
high. I rarely have to use one of the monobanders or the stack to work a
South multiplier.

Anyway, that's my experience with F12 antennas.

73, Dick WC1M