[TowerTalk] Solar Microinverters/RFI

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Solar Microinverters/RFI
From: "Cox, Norman R." <nrc@mst.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 05:30:40 +0000
   I have a small PV array that I use for testing microinverters.  This past
year, the microinverter under test failed after 2 years of service due to a
lightning glitch.  I thought I would try an inexpensive (imported)
microinverter someone was selling on eBay.  It generated so much RFI, you could
hear it all over the neighborhood!  I returned it for a refund.

    Apparently, they manufactured these units with no filtering.  The idea was
to not only reduce the cost, but to eliminate the tantalum capacitors that are
one of the weak links in the converter.  Their aim was to be able to claim
higher reliability.  In the instructions, they mentioned that you would have to
furnish you own line filters.

   I have an SMA string inverter out at my farm, and it is very well
engineered.  However, I have not done any measurements for RFI.

Good luck,

Norm

KE0ZT