Re: [TowerTalk] 40-10 meter wire antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40-10 meter wire antenna
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 19:37:20 -0700
The problem with this "logic" is that the gain increase in favored directions comes at the expense of gain in non-favored directions. With a stationary antenna, "gain" might not be a blessing. Personally, I would (and do) use fan dipoles in an inverted-vee configuration. Halfwave resonance gives the expected broadside pattern and the vee configuration "fills in" the vertically polarized pattern off the ends. The feedpoint Z is also reasonable and not some intractable value that requires heroic measures to match. If you don't want multiple dipoles, use traps.

My 2 cents.