Re: [TowerTalk] painting concrete

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] painting concrete
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 09:36:03 -0600
In the yachting community we use ground walnut shell on painted surfaces to create a non-slip surface even when wet (with proper foot wear.)

More aggressive non skid can be made with silica sand. I have seen and experienced rather course silica sand non-skid surfaces that would definitely be something you wouldn't want to fall down on but of course they offered excellent traction and reduced fall risk. Commercial fishing boats (tuna clippers with helo pads on their pilot houses) were the source of my silica sand experience.

With ground walnut shell or silica sand one successful procedure is to paint the surface and while the paint is tacky spread the non-skid material generously over it. When dry, sweep off all the loose material and then give it another coat of paint. Another method of application I have seen is to mix the non-skid material (walnut or silica sand) into the second coat of paint and apply/spread it with a roller.

Not all sands are created equal. Child's "Play Sand" from the big box store is inferior for non-skid. Silica sand has sharp edges which make for a much better non-skid effect, even when coated with paint. Larger course silica sand has terrific non-skid properties. Remember to wear dust protection to avoid inhaling silica dust as once in your lungs it is PERMANENT and silicosis is not something you want. After the silica sand is painted and any non coated product is removed there is no inhalation danger. It is the fine dust that causes a problem not the grains of sand.

Patrick        NJ5G