Re: [TowerTalk] Is a cellular phone tower in the nearby vicinity a probl

To: "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Is a cellular phone tower in the nearby vicinity a problem for a ham?
From: "Doug Ronald" <doug@dougronald.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:17:10 -0800
I have 5 GHz commercial backhaul equipment on my property, with the 48 VDC
power feed as described by K8LX. The major noise pollution is from the
switching supplies in the backs of the antennas themselves. The 48 Volt
power must regulated and converted to lower voltages, and each of those
inverters is a small transmitter radiating their detritus all over the
place. A spectrum analyzer is probably not sensitive enough to see the
noise, but a ham's receiver sure is. Those inverters on my property are
particularly offending right in the 40 meter band, probably due to the fast
edges of the switching transistors in their inverters.

I have managed to suppress the noise substantially by placing ferrites on
the power leads as close to the electronics enclosures as possible. I doubt
a complaint about a -60 dBm noise source is going anywhere.

-Doug W6DSR