Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna spacing

To: Daniel Hileman <n9wx@hotmail.com>, TOWER TALK <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna spacing
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 06:37:51 -0800
On 2/20/2017 12:56 PM, Daniel Hileman wrote:
Hi everyone,
Iam planning on building a "small contest" station on 20 acres. I plan on
having a 4square array on 80m, and 2 ele yagi @70' for 40m, and eventually a 1/4 wave
vertical for 160m. Rigs will be FT-2000 and FTdx-3000. Question is, how far should the
80m four square and 70' tower (with 40m yagi), and 160m
Towers be separated to not interfere with each other at about the 1000 watt
range?
Thanks and 73
Dan n9wx

This sort of issue is what prompted me to acquire my 20 acre QTH.  You
need to model this on EZNEC, but the results will cause you to put
your 20 acres to good use.  Your 160 meter vertical should have
an insulator half way up with a relay across it that is closed
when using 160.  Otherwise it is open and greatly decreases
interaction on 80.  There should also be a similar relay at the
ground to open the feed point; (must be there, not in the shack).
If you can't do this, your 160 meter vertical should be many
100's of feet after from the 4 square.  Same for the Yagi
tower.  500 feet wouldn't be too far.

The amount of power (1000 watts) has nothing to do with this issue.
It would still matter if you were QRP.

Rick N6RK