Re: [TowerTalk] 4-square questions

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4-square questions
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 09:40:15 -0800
Re 4sq receive vs yagi - which to listen to on 80 and 40.

For my site, it depends a bit on the yagi, heights, and arrival angles. My 4sq receive, 70' per side, DX Eng, rarely beats the F/S of a 2L 80m at 156' or the F/S & F/B of the 3L 40m at 140'. The 4sq usually beats an 86' rotatable 80m dipole at 100'. The RDF numbers suggest this as well.

OTOH, a 40m 2L Moxon at 102' is more often (25%?) bettered by the 4sq.

On 160 it is no contest 4sq vs T vertical, 4 sq to the rescue. With very high angle noise my 4sq generally does less well although overall it is a great antenna, RDF seems as advertised.

As Jim(s) note, the best strategy is often to null the noise rather than aiming azimuth for maximum gain.

Grant KZ1W