Re: [TowerTalk] RF in the shack

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <taholmes160@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF in the shack
From: "Wayne Carlson, K2DT" <k2dt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 09:57:12 -0700
Tim,

First make sure you properly ground all the equipment in your shack.

I have used Fair-Rite PN 0431164181 Snap-It cores in several ways to improve
things in my shack
(http://www.fair-rite.com/product/round-cable-snap-its-431164181/ ).  First,
I put 10 of them at the antenna end of my coax and taped over to hold in
place and protect from UV.   This is basically a W2DU "balun" (actually an
RF choke for the coax sleeve).   I've also used them on computer speaker
wires (use as many wraps as you can fit into the core) - it worked on one
speaker set and not on another.   I would also try it on the power cord for
your lamp.

I've also used small capacitors across speaker wires to essentially short
out the RF but not the audio.   This can be done for AC cords also but be
sure to use ones rated for the voltage (with buffer) and for AC use - if in
doubt, don't mess with AC wiring (or any other for that matter)!

I bought my cores from Arrow, but I think DX Engineering may carry them too.

73,
Wayne K2DT