Re: [TowerTalk] Beverages and verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverages and verticals
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 09:31:39 -0700
On Sat,3/18/2017 9:16 AM, Bill via TowerTalk wrote:
1.  I can make them any height, but am considering 10 feet  with a rise to maybe 14
over the driveway.  Thoughts on the height, and the "hump' over the driveway?
Lower height makes them work to a higher frequency. Mine are over irregular terrain, with intended height varying between 6 and 12 ft, and often drooping to 2-3 ft when a limb hits it. They are still working on 20M, and I used the EU Beverage on that band before I had aluminum in the air.

2.  The NE/SW run will be running pretty evenly downhill and will drop from
around 1150 feet to around 1000 feet above sea level.  While this is great for
a Yagi, how will it affect the Beverage going downhill?  Conversely, how will
the rise of 150 feet affect the Beverage in the opposite direction?

Mine are bi-directional and terminate into a rise in one direction, more or less flat in the other. Since I have no reference it's hard to say whether that matters.

3.  Finally, a 4 square will be used for transmit on 80, with the same drop.
Should I expect any enhancement  in the direction of the drop and conversely,
any degradation in the uphill direction?  I think I know the answer to both
questions, but want some opinions.  I can't model this on N6BV's HFTA so right
now it's guesswork.

N6BT gave a talk at Pacificon two years ago documenting experimental work showing that a vertical very close to a drop-off had significant enhancement in the direction of the dropoff. As I recall, this was on 20M. Slides are somewhere on the internet. Google is your friend. :) As you probably know, the physics behind HFTA only applies to horizontal polarization.

73, Jim K9YC