[TowerTalk] USTower anchor bolts rusting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] USTower anchor bolts rusting
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 09:18:49 -0700
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 08:35:58 -0700
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
To: Chris <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>, Jeff Draughn <n0ost99@gmail.com>
Cc: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] USTower anchor bolts rusting

A big step up from WD40 for rust prevention is LPS 3, available spray or
liquid.  Works well and easy to remove later.

Another fix I use is spray zinc "cold" galvanizing as I had to machine
some custom steel spacers under the base plate for leveling.

Grant KZ1W

##  A325 galvanized anchor bolts should not be rusting at all.  I say they are
defective.
There should be no rust on em at all, even after 15-20 years.

##  WD-40 is just glorified kerosene, and will soon evaporate, esp in warm
wx..like in 2 days.
WD-40 is better suited for getting rusted bolts apart.  Even then, the 50-50
mix of acetone
+  automatic transmission fluid   cleans house,  works better than any product
you can buy off the
shelf, like WD-40, PB blaster etc.   Acetone is readily available at any paint
store.

## I have tried every type of zinc  cold spray from every machine shop in town,
with mixed results.
Most of it would develop rust spots after just a few months, and that was with
clean, bare steel b4 spraying.
What works the best for zinc cold spray, was the Rustoleum brand, from the
local home depot. It not
only worked better, last forever,  it was cheaper, and the Rustoleum spray
bombs were at least 2 inchs taller.
I used a lot of the rustoleum product on the underneath side of my 2010
mustang, where we had welded
Cm tubing braces into place.  Spraying directly onto the welds...after cleaning
them 1st.   Did the same procedure
for the brace in the trunk, same deal.  It looks just like the day I sprayed it
on, and that was almost 5 yrs ago.
Also used it on some various ant projects..same results.

##  But all the various cold sprays  have a definite shelf life...so dont go
crazy buying it on sale in large qtys.
You also really have to shake the rattle can  for a long time b4 you use it.

Jim  VE7RF