[TowerTalk] Skimmer antenna suggestions

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Skimmer antenna suggestions
From: Rudy Bakalov via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2017 12:44:21 +0000 (UTC)
My skimmer node VE3EID uses a full size 80m inv-V at 90' as its RX antenna. I
have been wondering if this is the optimal antenna. Specifically, my thoughts
are that on the low bands it's better to have a vertically polarized antenna,
while the upper bands benefit from horizontal polarization.
Is there an easy to build isotropic RX antenna that can do both horizontal and
vertical polarization? Are there any other options? I thought about two
separate antennas- a vertical and a dipole- combined via a splitter, but am
concerned about the same signal arriving at both antennas and the different
phases of the same signal canceling each other or otherwise worsening the SNR
of the combined signal.
Rudy N2WQ